ELO program developed to help student achievement

Posted: August 30, 2011 in Academics, ELO

By Kyle Sanor

A new program at Cactus Canyon was made to assist students in their school work. This new program is called the Extra Learning Opportunity, or ELO.
ELO is a program being used to give additional help to students that have work to complete but do not have the time to complete. This takes about half of the lunch, which is 50 minutes for all grades. This program can be used in different ways and can be used by any teacher.
Teachers may assign a student tutoring if one-on-one help is needed, study hall for those who need extra time to complete or make up assignments, or for detention. Students may also voluntarily attend study hall or ask for tutoring.
“ELO was developed to help students that needed extra time for learning,” Principal Larry LaPrise said. “We have no after school buses so ELO is to fill the time. We think this will really help out students.”
The ELO has list has been increasing each day, as more students utilize the time. So far, about 100 students in each grade are in ELO on an average day. Those that don’t go to ELO are allowed to enjoy an extended lunch period.
Students said they thought the program would help with their grades..
“I think that ELO is great,” eighth grader Dominic Loomis said. “It helps with my grades and I use it for study hall.”

Comments
  1. Larry LaPrise says:

If students use this time wisely, there should be no grades lower than B’s here at Cactus Canyon.

2. Amanda M. says:

ELO is a great way for students to get the help they need.

3. Tayna Loftis says:

ELO is a great way to get tutoring and complete work. Remember you can always go to ELO by choice. Just talk with your teachers… no need be on the list just show up 🙂

4. Trevor says:

I think ELO is good because people with bad grades should get to try to raise it.

5. marc says:

I think that ELO is good because students can get extra time to finish or redo any work in there classes

6. Karina says:

I think E.L.O is really great for everyone because you can finally have time to complete your work you didn’t finish. and great for tutoring.

7. Melinda says:

I think ELO is a great way for us, students to catch up on late work of something that we are struggling on. And its also good because it is only half of our lunch so when we are done with ELO we still get to eat lunch after word. So I think ELO is a great “program” or whatever you call it.

8. Brianna says:

ELO is good because many of the people who don’t do there homework because they don’t know what to do . If they have that and they did not understand the lesson they could go and they could still have plenty of time to eat.

9. Brandon konecny says:

Elo is good because it gives you that extra 30 minutes to do your work so you can succeed in school.

10. bill says:

ELO is ok if you don’t get every day

11. nautica heighton says:

when you don’t have ELO youyour can have a fun time spending it with friends and reading books or doing homework working on work or getting tutored.=)

12. Casey says:

I admit it, I never do my home work at home. I normally do it in one of my first class since its pretty easy for me to multi-task.With ELO I only have to get the homework done for my first classes at home so I don’t feel like its a bad thing. ;{D