Trendy teachers sport tattoos

Posted: October 19, 2011 in Teachers

By Bailey Beringer

Years ago, when tattoos were considered taboo, teachers perhaps wouldn’t have been hired by a school if he or she had one. Now, though, some CCJH teachers not only have tattoos, they make them visible to students.
Many Cougar teachers with ink show their ankle tattoos or sometimes foot tattoos. Very rarely will they show their other ones, and students will never know they are there.
“No, I haven’t felt the need to cover them up,” said Patty Carpenter.
“Mine is on my upper arm, so it’s always covered,” said Jason Davis. “I wouldn’t get a tattoo that wasn’t covered up by my everyday clothes. I wouldn’t feel professional if I had tats showing.”
Years ago, tattoos could have been considered a bad influence on students because many people thought only juvenile delinquents and bikers had them.
“Thirty years ago, it probably would have been considered to be a negative influence,” said Tina Harshman, who has tattoos.
But tattoos are so much a part of life in 2011 that most students aren’t even surprised when they find out that their teachers have tattoos.
“It depends what kind of teacher. (On) a little old lady, yes, it would shock me a bit, “ said Sabrina Dubek. “But teachers are humans too.”
Some things haven’t changed, though. Even teachers can be afraid to tell their parents about their tattoos.
“My mother doesn’t know yet, said Mrs. Carpenter. “I’m 50 years old and a little apprehensive to tell my 83-year-old mother. I think she’ll just giggle and ask, ‘What were you thinking.’”

Comments
  1. Mrs. Aehlert says:

I think tattoos are cool if they are not overbearing. I don’t really care for the ones that cover someone’s whole arm or leg. I also don’t like ones that have vulgar words or pictures. But if it’s something that is really meaningful to a person, like the names of their family or a special symbol, that’s neat.
    (Hmmm, maybe I should get a ladybug tattoo?)

Do they tat a Dallas Cowboy STAR?

3. Mrs. Wallace says:

no tats on me…intersting to see on others, but not for me… feel a bit original by not having one… It is interesting to see what ones people choose for themselves, I like that most of the time they tell some kind of story for the soul…

4. I have my next two tats all planned out. A harp because it’s an Irish symbol for good luck and a peacock because my grandpa that just passed away had peacock tattoos on his forearms. No Cowboys star in my future, though.

5. Joyce Gingrich says:

I love my tats! Still want to finish the dolphin scene on my ankle! BUT—I waited a long time to get them and thought about it for quite a while! It’s forever, so think carefully!

6. Daisy says:

I like the story funny aha!!! i really don’t think its bad for a teacher to have a tat because like Bailey said there humans too its really not surprising.

7. Alexis says:

I like this article because I can some what relate too this. I keep telling my mom I want mt Monroe pierced and she says no because. If I would try to apply for a job it would be unprofessional.
    P.S
    Bailey I ❤ the article

8. CactusCanyonJuniorHigh :D says:

I don’t think it’s bad at all to for a teacher to have a tattoo, It’s their body and should have a right to get a tattoo if they want one, It’s not bad for them to have one, It’s not really hurting anybody. I think it’s pretty cool that some teachers have tattoos.

9. Savvie says:

I love the fact that teachers have tattoos! It doesn’t surprise me a bit. Like Bailey said they are part of everyday life now in 2011.(:

10. Casey says:

Me and my brothers decided that when my mom dies we’re each getting a piece of a heart and a torn piece of paper with the word “mom” on it. We want to always remember her. That and I want all of my family’s names put on my shoulder

11. Gaby says:

I think it is cool to have tattoos. For teachers I don’t think you should have to hide them since your aloud to have them.

12. Jordan says:

I have never seen a teacher with a tattoo before.