CCJH goes week without netbooks

Posted: October 31, 2011 in Technology

Every student at Cactus Canyon now has his or her own netbook to take to class, and even home. But in order for that to happen, the whole school had to go computer-free for a week.

By Ashley Renowden

Everyone knew that Cactus Canyon Junior High was getting netbooks for every student, but no one knew quite when.
The week before fall break, principal Larry LaPrise made an announcement that the school would not be having netbooks for a week due to some necessary programing that would make it possible for the students can take them home.
Many teachers’ lesson plans were affected, including eighth grade social studies teacher James Gibson. But Gibson kind of liked the changes and thought it was good to back to the things used to be.
“It was odd retrieving back to the ways of the past,” said Gibson.
Some kids liked the change, but many students didn’t like not having their netbooks. Eighth grader Jordan Bell didn’t really mind the change.
“I thought it hampered learning process, buy it did not stop entirely,” said Bell. “Since we were still learning, I didn’t mind the change.”
Using pencils and paper might not seem like a big deal for many people, but in the two years of Cactus Canyon’s existence, netbooks have been the main tool used to by students to complete work. So even for a week, it was challenging. They had to actually write down their assignments, instead of using their Google calenders, and all lessons had to include written work.
“There was a definite shift that needed to be made by the students back to the ‘old days,’” said Gibson.

Comments
  1. Tyler Roosen says:

I think it was good for us to go a week without net books because it showed what we could be doing everyday if we didn’t have the net books. It made them realize what we have that no other school does and if we don’t follow procedures and rules, we could lose them and go back to the way we used to be.

I started to laugh when Mr. Gibson was teaching his classes the procedure of stapling paper and then passing the stapler behind them. Old school.

3. Mrs. Aehlert says:

I was amazed at how spoiled I am with the netbooks. I didn’t realize it until a student asked me a question I didn’t have an answer for. My standard response is to tell students, “Google it and let me know what you find out.” I had to stop and think, “Oh wait, you can’t Google it right now.”
    I think back to when I was in junior high, (cell phones didn’t even exist, let alone laptop computers), and I wonder what types of technology our students’ children will be using in future classrooms. It’s exciting to think about!

4. Casey says:

I honestly prefer paper assignments. I have trouble with computers…I prefer using them for jst typing, online stuff is hard for me.

5. Jack says:

6. jacob says:

i like the net books better its better to look stuff up in mr. Gibsons class for social studies.

7. Ben says:

I hated not having netbooks. It is so much easier, and efficient compared to the method of paper and pencil, well to me it is.

8. Joyce Gingrich says:

Congratulations! You all survived, and everyone is doing a great job!

9. Carolina says:

That was a hard week for all of us. Mostly all the teachers had their assignments on the Internet.