Benchmark tests provide ‘snapshot’ of student progress

Posted: November 8, 2011 in Academics

By Ciara Daniels

Cactus Canyon Junior High took their first benchmark of the year on Nov. 3, which was the writing test. They continued on Nov. 7-8 with the science and math benchmarks. Testing will conclude Nov. 9 with the reading test.
Students take benchmark tests for several reasons. Benchmark scores help teachers assess how students are doing on all of the standards they have taught up to the benchmark dates. Administrators look at the benchmark results to predict how students are going to do on the AIMS test.
“The reason we have benchmarks is for the student, teacher and parent to have a quick ‘snapshot’ of each student’s progress,” said principal Larry LaPrise. “Benchmarks are a quick way to see who is on target and who needs extra help.”
In order to prepare for benchmarks, students try and get a good night’s sleep and eat a good, nutritious breakfast. Students that usually go to sleep very late at night often go to sleep a lot earlier just to do their best on their benchmarks.
“When it’s time for benchmarks, I make sure I eat right and get good sleep,” said eighth grader Chelsie Stangle. “I want to make sure I am focused and and on task by the time I get to school. It helps me to eat a good breakfast because I can concentrate better and focus.”
Students aren’t necessarily happy about having to take benchmarks every single quarter, but they understand that it’s important and that it’s mandatory. Some students are nervous about benchmarks and some just want to take them and get them over with.
“I am not usually nervous when it’s time to take them. I keep my attitude high and positive. It helps to not be nervous,” said Stangle. “I know I usually do very well on my benchmarks, so I don’t really have to stress about them. They are not something to stress about if you do your best and try hard.”

Comments

Show why CCJH is the best in Arizona!

2. Georgie says:

I feel Benchmarks is a lot of work and takes up all my time. But I know we need to test what we know. That does not mean I like it. My mom is always talking about how important school is and I am tired if the whole thing I need a break. I can’t wait until this is over, I will do my best…..

3. Ana says:

We need to take the benchmark because when we take it will prove it to the teachers so they don`t teach it to the people that already know.

4. Carolina says:

I did my best on the benchmarks and I think I did did good.

5. ashlee mcdaniel says:

This is a fantastic blog Ms. Ciara Daniels!
    I like how you give details..

6. Harry says:

I agree with both of them.

7. Chelsie S. says:

You wrote this with very well fluency. Good job, Ciara.

8. Fernando Sanchez says:

I unfortunately disagree with Georgie, yes it does take away time, but we must take the benchmark. It proves that teachers are doing well teaching us and it also test what we know and what we must focus on to learn more. Besides benchmarks are needed, it’s what leads up the AIMS test.

9. Casey says:

I like being able to know how well I’m understanding everything. Ya the tests are hard and the schedule gets all messed up,but in the end it works for the better.(you did awesome Ciara!)