Eighth grader is duct tape artist, philanthropist

Posted: January 17, 2012 in Art, Fundraisers, Student Accomplishments

By Layla Heninger

Cactus Canyon eighth grader Julia Valgento has a discovered a creative way of turning ordinary duct tape into unique pieces of art – and money for charity. She uses the tape to create anything from roses to pumpkins to hair bows.
She has been selling her duct tape products since April. She sells to students during school for charities such as Wounded Warriors, Ronald McDonald House, Susan G. Komen, World Wildlife Fund, and anti-suicide and anti-bullying hotlines.
Valgento has always had the urge to help the community and improve the environment. With her birthday money in April she bought the supplies she needed to make duct tape wallets, bows, and rings. She later came up with the name Stuck on Giving.
“By a stroke of good fortune, the gift of duct tape came into my hand,” said Julia Valgento. “Little did I know at the time, but I was skilled in the art of tape.”
She sells stickers and ribbons for 50 cents each, while the bows, pens, and roses cost $1.
In the beginning, she wasn’t sure what she was going to do with the profits she made, so she decided to donate to charity. Valgento so far has made over $400.
“I spend a lot of my free time constructing these novelties, but I do not find this to be a strenuous feat,” Valgento said. “I really enjoy doing this and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.”
Comments
  1. Morgan says:

I think what Julia is doing is really cool. I wanted to do something like that for the animal shelter my stepmom works at by selling some art work but I’m still thinking about it.
    Very cool 🙂

2. Paula says:

WOW Julia!! That is awesome! I for one, am so very proud of you and your efforts!
    You truly show what it means to give back to the community!
    Great job and keep up the good work!!

We purchased some red/black/white flower pens for the office. When people use them, they are impressed when we say a student made them from duct tape.

4. Gaby says:

I think it’s really nice that you’re doing this. It is also very generous to buy the supplies with your own money.

5. Sabrina says:

I think what Julia is doing is so good and rare for people her age to be giving money to charity. It is special, and very generous. Keep up the good work! 🙂

6. Haylee says:

They look really cool. I have seen these around, but never knew where people were getting them. I think it is really nice that the money is given to charities and things like that.

7. Georen says:

Wow I think Julia is doing a great thing! Its so generous for her to be giving to charity. Last year one of her friends said go to Julia and buy a bow. So I did she gave me a pink zebra one for breast cancer.

• Sheniah says:

It is clear that she has put a lot of thought into this Idea. I think it is great and very creative. I like how the author tell what she is doing with the money. Great Job!!!

8. Savvie says:

This is really neat! This is a great idea to inspire people to do better for their community. Giving back even a little at a time will make a big difference.

9. Izzy says:

What a great idea! Everything she sells is so unique and different. Donating the money to charities, can really inspire other people to follow in her footsteps. Keep up the great work!

10. Justin Sheppard says:

I think they are fantastic and really cool looking.I can tell you put a lot of effort in making those.Just keep up the good work.

11. Jessica K. says:

I think her style with duct is by far impressing, It’s nice to know that she doesn’t use the money all for herself and that she helps out other in need or for a charity.

12. Ana says:

I like the things Julia makes with duct tape and that she gives the money to charity.It`s a good idea to because it inspires other people.

13. Jamie says:

This is a outstanding Idea! Also it is great, that you are going to donate the money to charities. This is spiritually and inspiring, Keep

14. Tiffani S. says:

What this student is doing is fantastic she put a lot of thought into her idea for this. People who are getting the charity money will be so happy when they see the money that she gave to them. Our school is really lucky to have someone who is as thoughtful and generous as she is. You are amazing!

15. Randi says:

Julia Is An Amazing Out Going Person That Puts Other Peoples Needs For Money And She Is A Great Artist In The Duct Tape Skills. Layla You Did A Fantastic Job On This Article!(: Keep Up The Good Work; The Both Of You!!(:

16. Crystal says:

I think its awesome that she can make stuff out of tape, I tried once and definitely failed. It’s cool that she donates her profits to charity also.

17. Ivan says:

I believe what your doing is amazing Julia. You put so much time and effort into it, and you do a great job. The fact that you don’t keep all the money for yourself is outstanding. Keep up the good work! (:

18. Ruth says:

I like how she the money she earns she gives it to charity that is very nice of her.

19. Ivan says:

The duck tape making was a cool i wish i new how to make a duck tape wallet to keep my money so I wouldn’t have to carry my own money in my pocket

20. Athena says:

I think Julia is an fantastic person! And if we all set our minds to do things we really want, we can accomplish alot of things like her. Keep up the awesome work!(: