Cougar football team has high expectations

Posted: January 19, 2012 in Athletics, Football

The Cougar football team is preparing for its first game on Friday, Jan. 20. The game is at 5 p.m. at Davis Field. (Photo by Brittany Gadberry)

By Thayne Jackson

The football season for Cactus Canyon Junior High has begun and the team is preparing for its first game Jan. 20 at Davis field.
Tryouts were conducted the week before December break and about 80 seventh and eighth graders made the team because no cuts were made.
“Overall I am impressed with both the seventh and eighth graders who have decided they want to be football players,” said defensive line coach Rich Milligan. “However, talent is not near as important as work ethic. Talented, lazy players (and) teams get beat by less-talented, hard-working teams regularly.”
There are high hopes for football this season. Both students and teachers are excited.
“I’m hoping that we have a great season and that we go undefeated,” said Naz Greer. “I’ve seen some pretty amazing talent, especially at skill positions. I am very excited to be out on the gridiron.”
Both offensive and defensive players have worked on learning schemes and perfecting plays before the first game on Friday.
Comments
  1. Mrs. Aehlert says:

GO COUGARS!!

If you have never been to a game you are missing a football game, our cheerleaders, our Pep Band, Carlos the Mascot, and Mrs. Jada’s play by play.

3. Ccjh student says:

Wow I think there ganna be good too and coming from a girl may sound pitty but I have sure some hope on our team!!!

4. Carlos T. Cougar says:

Roooarr Growl Snarl “BITE BITE”

5. CCJH STUDENT says:

I hope we win a championship this year.

6. Justin crespo says:

I am sure will make it to the playoffs and even the chamionship game this season . i have seen the way we play and practice as long as we give 110% at every game and practice GO COUGARS!!!!

7. devon says:

Cactus Canyon Junior High football team has been doing a great job and working hard.

8. dylan says:

go cougars

9. lance says:

I think the team is going to be really great his year.

10. Christian says:

I have experience and know what it takes to become a hard working team. It’s not all about each player having their own individual talents as more as it being that the team has talents put together. The person who wrote this article did a great job on putting in the fine descriptions. When you work as a team you win as a team, but if you don’t work as a team then you can’t win as a team.

11. chance says:

I’m glad to be apart of CCJH and I think it’s awesome to watch our football team win. Also who ever wrote this article did an awesome job!

12. jacob says:

CCJH has great football players. The coaches made a good decision that there were no cuts. It’s going to be a great season. We have great players here at CCJH. As Naz said, “I hope we go undefeated too.”

13. Nathaniel says:

CCJH has great football players. The coaches made good choices in the pick. It is good that they have high expectations.

14. David says:

CCJH have a amazing football team this year and I think was r going to win the season.

15. kurt says:

I really like the way you have written this story. I like how you have not only included the players but the coaches. I really hope that we will bring home the championship. Write more stories like this please. GO COUGARS!

16. Chelsie says:

Our team has amazing players, I know we will do good. I can’t wait for the next game. I like to see all my friends play too.

17. Harry says:

I really hope we win more games and go to the championship this year, we have different coaches this year and the cougars football team is very hard working and have talent. One loss won’t hurt because the cougars are going to win the other games and going to go to the championship game.

18. Tyler c says:

Can’t wait to see the team in action! Good luck out there.

19. Wesley says:

I really hope the Cougar football team does good this season and good luck!

20. Juan says:

The CCJH football team is doing really good now. You can tell the hard practices and work pay off in the game. Even tho not everyone gets to play, they still keep up with their grades to be able to play some times. Thayne, the article was really good, it stayed on topic and made sense. keep up the good work.

21. Angelica says:

The football team is a good and hard working team, I’m sure that if we keep practicing and trying hard enough we will become undefeated.

22. Dr. Dylan says:

CACTUS CANYON RULES WE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 BABY

23. noah says:

24. Billy Strahan says:

The team looks like its going to better this year and hopefully they bring it home for us. Thayne you write an excellent story

25. David says:

I hope the Cougars get to the championship, they have some really good players and Naz. Nice article Thayne.

26. Unanimous says:

You gonna be writing more stories Thayne?

27. brandon says:

I hope we go undefeated

28. Megan says:

Go cougars! I will be going to the football game Thursday with my uncle.I am really excited to see how good our football team is.

29. Rhyan says:

I was in the football team, i didn’t get to play much until the end and i was 2nd string i got a feeling I’m going to be in “Beast Mode” next year and were going to march endzone to endzone all day, every day go Cougars