Special Olympics welcomes Cactus Canyon

Posted: November 12, 2013 in Athletics, Special Olympics

By Mariahrose Manell
Cougar News Blog

Special Olympics is the world’s largest sports organization for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, providing year-round training and competitions to more than 4.2 million athletes in 170 countries.
Special Olympics has been around since 1968 and offers alpine skiing, swimming, track and field, and figure skating. Cactus Canyon’s kids will be participating in bowling and basketball. Coach Desirae Davis has helped before, but this is her first year as a coach.
“This will be my first year as a coach, but I volunteered last year,” said special education teacher Desirae Davis.
The mission for Special Olympics is so that they provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community. Enias Victorio, a seventh grade student from Cactus Canyon, participated and won two medals last year, a gold and a silver medal.
“Enias is excited and looking forward to competing with his classmates and meeting new athletes this year. He enjoys basketball, bowling and track and a variety of events that are offered through the year,” said his mother, Celia Victorio.
After school three to four times a week the students are practicing for the basketball competition, and during October they will go to the bowling alley three times. It is an inspiring competition and people should encourage anyone who can come and support Cactus Canyon students.
“The athletes get to be involved in sports at their levels, develop social skills, and be included in the community,” says Davis. “I continue this program because it provides opportunities for our athletes to learn those skills.”
Comments
  1. Maranda says:

Good Job with the vocabulary!

2. Kelly says:

It’s really cool that you guys do that! I didn’t know that many people in that many countries participate!

3. abby says:

I think that it’s really great that there are opportunities for kids and adults with disabilities to participate in an Olympics, and that teachers and kids from your school are helping and participating in the organization. I’m glad to see that the kids are having fun in the games! Visit my blog at http://abby1223.edublogs.org/

4. Abbey says:

My brother has down syndrome and I know that he has a tone of fun doing the Special Olympics each year! Visit my blog http://abbey3434.edublogs.org/

5. Alec says:

That’s really cool that you guys do that! My sister participates in the special Olympics in Massachusetts.

6. Ben Gauthier says:

I think that’s it really amazing that they do the special Olympics for people with disabilities. It lets people who have disabilities happy which is good. I would like to attend the special Olympics one year and show my appreciation for people who have disabilities. I am glad to see people with disabilities having a good time.

7. Joey says:

I love this post, so creative, fun and cool! I love how she did this. Such a good writer!

8. The Chickering Reporters says:

We really like how you decide to include the special Olympics in your school. We found it amazing that over 4.2 million athletes from 170 different countries compete in the Special Olympics. It is also amazing that it has been going on for almost 50 years now. It is so nice how you guys have fun activities for people with intellectual disabilities. It is extremely generous and it is an amazing thing to do for the

From,