Art classes make cards for troops

Posted: November 19, 2013 in Art
Mrs. McFarland's art classes recently made Christmas cards to send to troops overseas. (Photo by Alissa Mahon.)

Mrs. McFarland’s art classes recently made Christmas cards to send to troops overseas. (Photo by Alissa Mahon.)

By Anna Gray
Cougar News Blog

To remind the soldiers serving our country that they are appreciated, art teacher Gail McFarland recently had all of her classes make Christmas cards for the troops overseas. Every one of her students participated and the cards will be mailed soon.
Mrs. McFarland will have the cards brought to the local American Legion to be sent overseas during Christmas. By doing this she hopes the soldiers will know they are respected for their service to the country. A big part of this project is also so students will grow a respect for what the troops do.
“I hope this assignment teaches students pride for their country and respect for the military,” said Mrs. McFarland.
Mrs. McFarland has been having students participate in this project every year since she became an art teacher. Having a father who served in the military she developed a strong respect for the military the country. She hopes students will learn to love the army as she does.
“I think making cards will help them serve our country by knowing they are greatly appreciated,” said eighth grader Dylan Zimmerman.
Mrs. McFarland is hoping this will greatly impact the students lives and teach them to remember to be grateful for the men and women who serve. As for the soldiers, she hopes that this will be a nice gift to remind them that what they are doing is right and appreciated.
“I want my students to learn compassion for others,” said Mrs. McFarland. “I hope as they create their cards they will be able to identify with the soldiers who are far away from their family and friends in a foreign country. I hope this assignment teaches pride for their country and respect for the military.”
Comments
  1. Maranda says:

I find this great and beautiful. It will make their day and strengthen their hearts.! You did a very good job!

2. Great idea! I am sure the soldiers will appreciate it.

3. Mike says:

I think this is a great idea. It is something nice to do for soldiers and make them happy during the holiday season.

4. gabrielle says:

that is such a good idea. I am sure reminding the troops how helpful they are means a lot to them. they look good!

5. jonah says:

This is a very nice thing that you are doing for the troops over seas.

6. Jared Marshall says:

I liked this story a lot. it is important that you you do something for the troops over seas. it is also important that your teaching kids to respect soldiers.

7. royaljosh says:

Thank you for supporting our troops.

8. Jared says:

great idea! what you are doing is very kind for soldiers, keep up the good work!

9. freddy says:

i think that the troops will highly appreciate this. also what counts is the thought you put into this.

10. I liked reading your post about making cards for the Troops. My homeroom is creating a Christmas Tree to donate to a fundraiser. We are decorating it with QR Codes that lead to web sites about things you can do for our Troops and Veterans. We got the idea from an article in Parade Magazine called 11 Ways to Help Our Vets and Troops on 11/11 (parade.com/vets) We will post a picture of our finished tree on our blog- digitalstories8.edublogs.com. Please visit us!

11. Maranda says:

Wow, very inspiring! You’re a really great Journalist! People find this story so inspiring and the fact that you shared with the blogs helps other people get ideas just like this! Good job!

12. Holly says:

Wonderful writing Anna and I see my card! The project was very fun to do and I hope we get to do something like this again.

13. Katie says:

Dear, Anna
    I really like your Christmas cards!
    I think your cards are better than are’s!
    I wonder what some kids in your class wrote?
    From,
    Katie
    digitalvoices.edublogs.org

14. Maranda says:

I geuss my comment makes it 14. Girl, youre famous!(: good job.

15. Zach says:

Thank’s Everyone for thanking us!!!!

16. ehtoo says:

this is a great ideas! I think the troops will definitely love those lovely cards,